Sunday 11 January 2009

A brief intermission.

The best laid plans oft go awry. When I began the imaginations of Hetzenberg and Dunkeldorf-Pfuhl in the fall of 2007 I little dreamed of what lay ahead. My plan was to develop two small armies of a brigade (4 or so regiments) apiece with attached cavalry and artillery, all in 28-30mm, and record their battles here. Circumstances have altered my life to such a degree I can't continue the project for some months at least. Impending marriage and emigration tend to take priority, even over wargaming!
*
As my fictional account of events in my corner of Urope seems to be so popular, what I propose is to novelize the enmity between the Grand Duchy and the Margravate. Using methods suggested by Tony Bath in his seminal work "Setting up a wargames campaign" to create battles and encounters, I can continue to wargame, at least in an abstract fashion. The results will be dramatized and published here. Eventually, when I'm more settled, I'll resume the build-up of the actual armies. Any ideas, suggestions and comments are welcome.

9 comments:

littlejohn said...

The Grand Duchess of Grolstein will patiently await any news from Hetzenberg whether it be news of courtly complexities— which the Duchess loves most of all— or the more nasty business of battle to which her handsome soldiers must occasionally committed.

All the best in your future real life!

--Dave

Martin said...

Hi A.J.,

It sounds like your're on the right track to me! Congrats on all the recent happenings going on in your life. Your impending membership in the International Brotherhood Of Married Men is eagerly awaited by all the Brothers!

Yours,

Martin

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Looking forward to it A.J.. And good luck with the move and marriage plans.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Prinz Geoffrey said...

If you wish Bluebear Jeff says that others can fight proxie battles for you and either post the battle report or relay the results to you. However, the writing method is just as valid and you would have more control. Cavenderia is always looking for Ideas for troops. I am currently soliciting ideas for Cavalry, perhaps one of your squadrons could serve in Cavenderia for a bit I am painting up units as I go. I will post a template for dragoons on the blog soon or just use one of david's and send it to me.

Bluebear Jeff said...

AJ,

Remember that it is quite possible to have other members of "EvE" fight the battles out as "proxy battles".

So even if you don't have the miniatures at this point, you can still have someone else stage the fights.

As for the story line, YES, by all means continue that please.


-- Jeff

A J said...

Thank you for your comments and good wishes, gentlemen. They illustrate what a fine and courtly fellowship we imagineers have.

Prinz Geoffrey and Jeff, I think I will avail myself of proxies to fight the engagements. It would be a much more satisfying display, and give a better battle result.

Ironically this morning I discovered 9 SYW dragoon figures in a heap of Pony Wars figures of all places. I've no idea of the nationality they represent and they have no horses. Oh well, when things settle they'll be useful. Geoffrey, maybe Cavenderia can use The Rumtopft Dragoons? I'll post their uniform details soon.

Capt Bill said...

Painting figures is just one facet of a well rounded gamer. Your story line has provided many thought provoking scenarios for all of us. Congratulations on all the exciting real life adventures you are embarking upon. I'm sure you'll find a few moments to keep us informed. Best regards...Bill

Fitz-Badger said...

Let me add my congratulaltions, as well!
And the story line is so fun and interesting I think we will all be pleased if you can manage to post updates whenever life permits.
Some of us paint minis, some use paper soldiers, some use amazing matchstick units, different scales, different unit sizes, different rules, etc., solo games or gaming with others, written accounts (not all played out on the tabletop). It's all good. It's about having fun. :-)

Frankfurter said...

Ah yes,
and descriptions of your real life princess and the places you're leaving and going to would also regale us home bound folks!

May your marriage be happy, prosperous, and fruitful!

A